Walker has spent the summer working as a fundraiser for Children International. Every day from 10-6, he was outside on the streets of downtown Seattle soliciting sponsors for children from many nations. CI provides many basic needs--medical, food, water, schooling--for children at quite a low per-month rate. They also have an established community presence and work together with local people on projects to improve drinking water, sanitation, education, and other things. We decided to sponsor a Guatemalan child, and a few weeks later, we received a picture of Dora, a bright-eyed 11-year old girl, in the mail. I already look forward to getting to know her. Walker's work was quite difficult--most canvassers don't have it easy--but fortunately, he is the kind of person who always sees positive and productive elements in situations that can be quite discouraging. His last day of work was Thursday, and now he is looking forward to starting his PhD program this coming week.
I have spent the summer with Atticus, exploring Seattle's lush parks and beautiful bays, going on walks to Green Lake--a quick 5-minute trip--and spending a good part of my time doing less story-worthy things: unpacking, cleaning, shopping, cooking, and taking care of Atticus. He has transformed over the summer into a running, almost-talking, climbing, jumping, even-stronger-willed 1-year-old. He loves books and balls of all kinds, and becomes particularly gleeful when we play hide-and-seek, when we go outside, or when he's doing something he knows he shouldn't--pulling out cords from outlets, stepping out onto the balcony, or running at a tilt across the couch. His mannerisms are inescapably funny, and he always makes me laugh.
I'm also learning some new piano pieces--right now, I'm working on a Chopin Etude and Ravel's "Jeux d'eau" ("Water Games"). I am also hoping to run in the Seattle Marathon at the end of November, so I've been out running a lot. Seattle has perfect running weather! Light breezes, partly-cloudy skies, drizzly rain on occasion, bursts of sunshine for a few hours at a time, great temperatures in the 50s-70s, and an absolutely awesome paved trail running through Seattle--the Burke-Gilman Trail.
We've done some hiking this summer--most notably to Lake 22 and to Oyster Dome--and lots of blackberry picking! Wild blackberries grow all over in Seattle's green areas, so all that's between you and berry goodness is a bit of hunting and a lot of thorn. We made some jam and have also made many luscious smoothies with the berries. What a treat!
3 comments:
Hey! Good to 'hear' about how everything is going!!! I'm sure life is ANYTHING but mundane for you guys!!! I can't believe Atticus is growing up so fast!
Great pictures and stories. Thanks for sharing!
Hello my dear. It makes me so happy to think of you having fun with Atticus and taking time to learn new piano pieces and savoring the great outdoors. I hope Seattle treats you wonderfully and that Walker digs into his PhD program with relish. Love from Illinois!
Post a Comment