In case you didn't hear, we are having a boy! We found out on Dad's birthday, April 8th. We are naturally very excited. By the way, just in case Becca and David get up the nerve to have another boy, we've already staked a claim on the names Rufus Brock Frahm and Gaylord Fauntleroy Frahm. Don't even try to steal those ones--they are permanently posted on the blog, now, so you have no excuse for temporary lapses of memory. In other news about Kiwi (as he will continue to be known in utero), today was the first day Walker was able to feel him kick. After lunch today, Kiwi must literally have been dancing. Maybe it was even The Electric (boogy-woogy-woogy...). Walker came in and coaxed Kiwi, but he needed no coaxing. It's nice to know someone else can feel him move, and that I'm actually growing a baby. :)
In other news, I celebrated an excellent 26th birthday. I received some very thoughtful cards and gifts, and many of my friends wished me a happy birthday. I felt so loved and remembered by others, which I need sometimes. I appreciate the great kindness of my family and friends. My day was pretty run-of-the-mill, which, since I almost always enjoy work, means it was actually a very good day. Walker picked me up from work at 5:00 and proceeded to drive South, instead of North. At this point, of course, I became suspicious. Were we going to a McDonald's 30 minutes away? Were we going to some place in upstate New York to try out the region's only Romanian restaurant? Was Walker's lack of cooperation with my investigative inquiries driving me crazy? Well, finally we exited in Darien, CT. Walker told me to look for a place to eat. There were some respectable places--a "luncheon diner," a little Indian place, and an apparently famous deli. Also, some disreputable locales-- a Dunkin' Donuts prime among them. After driving back over the same stretch of road a few times, Walker finally veered down another street. Though I immediately spotted the intended destination, I pretended innocence. Which, of course, Walker saw right through. :) Which created a lovely birthday moment in which I realized Walker knows my heart like no other, and loves me for whatever it is he sees in it. We walked into the "The Melting Pot: A Fondue Restaurant," which was tucked away at the end of a small side street and marked by trees adorned with white lights and by a little fountain (appropriately foreshadowing the flowing fondue to be tasted inside). The host took us to a very private booth with some fresh red roses already on it--he wished me a happy birthday, and I enjoyed the realization that Walker had planned all of this. The whole dinner was divine. First course: spinach-artichoke cheese fondue with bread, vegetables, and apples as dippers. Second course: salads (not Walk's favorite, but I'm proud of him for giving it a try); mine a California-style salad with walnuts, gorgonzola cheese, and raspberry dressing; his a spinach-mushroom-bacon creation. Third course: various small pieces of meat and vegetables to be skewered and boiled in the broth fondue. Walker immediately fell for the filet mignon. I admit, my first encounter with such an expensive meat was quite tasty, but I remained partial to the shrimp dipped in cocktail sauce and also enjoyed the vegetables dipped in the yogurt-curry sauce. As we were stewing over (hehe...) the third course options, I realized that my pregnant middle section doesn't hold as much food at once as it used to. But, I also realized that chocolate would be coming. So, I did the only thing a self-respecting pregnant woman would do: unzipped my skirt. Now, no need to panic. We were in a booth all by ourselves and I was very well covered. Walker indulged my ardent desire to order the Pure option: pure dark chocolate, unadulterated by nasty marshmallow fluff or bananas or swirls of caramel. Just the real stuff. And divine it was. On strawberries, poundcake, rice-crispy treats, and cheesecake. Dark, flowing, divine chocolate. The perfect ending. :) We spent about 3 hours there, which gave us plenty of time to relax and enjoy our special night.
While we were there, I spent a while reflecting to Walker on my 26th year, culminating in my 26th birthday. This year has witnessed many remarkable and profound changes in my life. It started with the completion of my MA, which marked the temporary end of my formal years of school-based education. Directly following that event, Walker and I were married for time and eternity, a change so profound that it alone would have qualified this year as the most transformative of the past 26. This year, however, also marked my first "real" jobs as a teacher at the University of New Haven and as an education coordinator at Yale's medical school. And, finally, the last quarter of my 26th year has been spent thinking about and adapting to another profound change: carrying and growing our tiny baby and preparing for motherhood. Reflecting on all of these changes, many of which have been miraculous, I cannot supress feelings of utmost gratitude to my Heavenly Father for making all of these transformations possible and for carefully and patiently taking care of my changing needs and feelings. I also cannot help but feel extreme gratitude to Walker for his care and complete devotion to me. I live a rich, abundant life, which I do not deserve, but for which I am powerfully thankful. I look forward with great hope to another incredible year!
2 comments:
congratulations on baby boy "kiwi" and on your 26th b-day. sounds like you had a great time. i have definitely done the unzipping/unpopping of zippers/buttons during my pregnancies, it is liberating. keep enjoying all the joys of life!!
That sounds like an excellent birthday indeed. How wonderful to have such a leisurely and lovely meal.
What an unexpected coincidence - we decided on Rufus Brock for a boy too! Since you already have dibs on Rufus Brock, we wanted to be sensitive and go with the more classy Rufus Ba'rock Obama for our little angel. I'm glad we could come up with such different yet coordinated cousin names. Yeah for us! :)
Post a Comment